Monday, September 15, 2008

BUSY PLAYING!

OK...I've been a bit neglectful of my blog BUT trust me when I say I have been busy!!!!!! I haven't been blogging but I've been playing! I just go from one click to another to another! I love it and I hate it! I can't believe all the wonderful information out there. I feel like I've been living in a bubble where technology and advancements in student learning have been taking place over the past few years when I read all the information out there. Yet on the other hand, I am definitely feeling the strains of information overload and lots of technojargon that is beginning to scare me. Yet I plug on... :)
So where do I begin...I guess I started with trying to find some blogs that I would want to include in an aggregator or RSS feed as Joanne had suggested we do as soon as possible. I read the chapter in Will Richardson's book on RSS feeds and began with technorati.com and found it very confusing. Links were taking me to other links and I found it unreadable (for me) so I moved onto bloglines as suggested in Will Richardson's book. It looked fairly easy to manage but I wanted to try to start keeping all my "Web 2.0 tools" together which brought me to Google reader as I already have an account with Google for my blog. (With all these wonderful free tools comes more e-mail accounts and passwords than I can manage or keep track of!)
Back to my Google Reader, I find it easy to use but tricky finding blogs and "feeds" that I want to include. Many feeds came with more articles than I was interested in reading which brings me to learning about TAGS. I haven't quite mastered that one yet but I think (hope) it won't be too confusing. So I've decided to keep my feeds simple by limiting it to everyone's blogs in our course as well as a few of the Web 2.0 experts and School Library Journal blogs to keep me reading and "current" on latest trends.
Today I played around with Flickr for awhile and found myself creating yet another account with Yahoo in order to subscribe and try it out. I haven't quite figured out how I would like to practice it but I love the idea of starting with some Flicktion as suggested in Will Richardson's book. Language Arts being my favorite "subject" to teach (no huge surprise as I bet many of us are as teacher-librarians or future TLs), I'd like to try it out on my students. There's nothing like putting what you've learned into practice. I've also been playing with the Flickreplacr Bookmarklet too! I'll see if I can get it to work on my blog...cross your fingers for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment